Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Kim Keunho/ p109// summer session

Topic: 

 

Does your language have a fable like "The Ant and the Grasshopper," a fable that encourages people to work hard? 

How does your culture look at the division of work and recreation?

 

The country where I live (South Korea) is notorious for its unparalleled. According to OECD report in 2017, Korea was among the five countries, of which a worker's annual working hour exceeds 2,000 hours. Koreans were the third most working people in the world! Surprisingly, there are no obvious tales that are similar to "The Ant and the Grasshopper." However, we can figure out from many didactic folk tale stories in which good guys always success and bad guys are always punished, that good guys are usually 1) diligent 2) hard working and 3) devoted to families (mostly parents). As a young student, at school I was taught that I should ceaselessly study so that I can become a diligent and hard-working member of the society. I'm sure that most of us were injected with the same value.

 

It is crystal clear that Korean society is requiring people to be committed to their jobs. I agree with that diligence is an important virtue as a human being, but I also believe that too much is as bad as too little. No one would disagree with that our society does not allow workers the division of work and recreation; the sheer interest of employers in this country is about giving less recreational time and imposing employees with more working hour. Although society has improved dramatically compared to my parent's generation, still it needs to go further ahead to solve the accumulated problems. The society forces people to choose between either family or work and choosing to cherish the former would surely lead people to disadvantages at workplaces. In other words, it can be said that my culture taboos the leisure and those who try to divide work and leisure thoroughly will be receiving many restrictions.

 

Owing to this kind of social atmosphere and conventional idea that industrious lifestyle is the most valuable one, it's really hard to secure free time of my own in this country. The reports say that more than 70% of high school students and workers are suffering from overnight study and tasks, respectively. It's really problematic because long working hour actually harms productivity and physical fitness of the employees. Thus, I strongly insist our society should move on to solve this problem and promote strong separation of work and recreation. To support my opinion, I'm going to refer to the interview with my mom, who has been working as a pediatric doctor for more than 20 years. For about fifteen years, she had been working a lot of time. Mom used to work for a huge local hospital that paid well, but required to work extra-time. As a result, when I was a student I had little time to spend with her and neither did my mom; she didn't even have time to get along with my dad. After years of diligent working, what she gained was an exhausted and ill body. Thus, she quite the job and get another job at a small hospital that she can work as a part timer. Mom earns less than before, but instead she can finally secure time for herself, enjoying her hobbies (reading, watching concerts) and getting along with my dad more than ever before! Only two years have passed since she found another workplace, but now she told me that her life is much healthier and more joyful than before! I was relieved to hear that from my mom and I finally come to think once again about recreation and work; having some leisurely time is even more important than just working hard for money.

 

Fortunately, our culture is undergoing slow but steady change to respect personal time and recreation. Every people were the victims of 'diligence-enforcing society,' especially women. I sincerely hope that other women workers find some ways to balance themselves between work and recreation and social structures change in the way that respect the division of work and private time. The society should realize that a quality relaxation can grease the entire working environment and leads to increased productivity. 

1 comment:

  1. **** I have an omitted expression in the first line.
    I just wrote "unparalleled" but it should be "unparalleled working hour".

    So the complete first sentence is " The country where I live (South Korea) is notorious for its unparalleled working hour."

    Sorry for not reviewing carefully.

    ReplyDelete