Thursday, June 29, 2017

Dong Heui Kim/Page 66/Summer Writing

Item D #2

When I was a new student after moving to a different place during middle school, I had no one else to talk to. Classmates were interested in seeing a new student, but they all went back to their existing friends. I did have mates to eat lunch and hang out during PE class but felt very left out and uncomfortable. It was my first time transferring school and adapting to new environment was too hard and tough for me. Leaving all of friends behind was the most difficult part I could not endure, seeing all new students belonging to certain group. I really hated going school and always had to struggle getting ready for it and I missed my friends. Then one day, a girl who sits two people away came up to me and asked whether I have interest in reading. She said she saw me reading a lot of books during school. I had no reason to reject so I joined the reading club in the school and we became close friends. Because of her, I was able to enjoy school life again and if she had not come for me, I would still have stayed out of place. Since then, I had no trouble adapting to new school and new people whenever I transferred to new school due to my father's career. She is still one of my best friends and I consider her as my savior.

Item E #1

     Of course friends can be as important as relatives, maybe even more crucial than family. First of all, the concept of relative and friend is very different. It is a different category because relative is blood-related and friends is an abstract, general form of relationship that comforts one another. So friends are bigger category that can entail the idea of relative. When we are young, we get influenced by our family members such as parents and siblings. Yet, when we enter social community like school, we spend much more time with our friends, who contribute as an essential factor that shapes up our identity ad sense of value. During this time, friends' existence is big to each one and sometimes can be more dependent and reliable than family especially in puberty. Even I myself share numerous things with my friends that my family does not know. Family and friends are both reliable, but it is just that sometimes friends give a sense of easiness and less pressure.   

2 comments:

  1. For question D,
    I have never experienced transferring schools but after reading your writing, I could understand the difficulties you have gone through. You structured your writing very well by first introducing the problem, then what had happened, and how you have overcome the problem. Great job!

    For question E,
    I agree with your overall idea and especially the part "the concept of relative and friend [are] very different." You clearly made a comparison between the two and even brought up examples which was a good choice to make the reader understand more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the first paragraph: It is interesting that you still consider that friend as a savior. I hope you would be the another savior for her when she struggles.
    About the second one: I also think friends are helpful more than relatives. I am on the same page that friends are the ones who understands more than your family does.
    Hyunho Jung

    ReplyDelete