Sunday, June 25, 2017

Kim Keunho/Session 5 assignmet_part 2/Summer session (13:00-15:00)

Prose and Paragraphs Session 5 assignment_part2 201200283/ Kim Keunho

 

P52.  

A. Writing topic

Q1. Definition: write you definition of love.

Q2. Cause and effect: Many marriages end in divorce often because love has failed. What are the causes of this failure? (Think in general terms, not of one particular couple you know)

 So, I choose two topics out of given three and these are the topics that I've been interested in for personal reasons. As a person who lacks sympathy, I personally don't understand why people love each other. To tell the truth, I have never loved someone because I don't trust anyone! (literally nobody!) Therefore, I think these topics are especially interesting and I'd like to share my own idea about what is love and why so many marriages based on love demise in the end.

First thing first, what is love? The old Greek philosopher [1]already figured out that the love is not about beauty or goodness. I completely agree with it since I've seen many ugly and distorted aspects of love numerous times. When people love each other, the always promise never ending and everlasting love but sooner or later, in many cases the promise turns out to be worthless. I think that love is a selfish contract, biologically designed by nature to secure the reproduction and proliferation of human beings. People tend to disguise and pack love by shading a light on good and beautiful aspects, but I think the sheer purpose of love is all about reproduction. Some people might ask, how can we explain altruistic behaviors that lovers show to each other if the love is all about breeding and mating. I'd like to answer that altruistic behaviors are 'deliberately' achieved through social education, in order to promote sustainable and long-lasting love to maintain the society.

Now, having defined what the love is, based on the definition I'd like to move onto analyze why so many marriages end up with divorce. I already stated that love is a selfish contract and altruism is nothing more than a temporary remedy. The power of love that bonded the couple begins to weaken right after the honeymoon period ends. If love fades away, then what's left to maintain the marriage? Nothing but the fear about bad reputation and consolation fee is what prevents people from divorce. Still, divorce is inevitable to many people all around the globe. Let's think about the essence of marriage. Two people from very different backgrounds unite together and form a single family. When they are lured by the attractiveness that the love gives, everything could have been going well. However, as time goes by and there's no freshness in their relationship, they are getting intolerant about each other's personality difference. If the magnitude of intolerance and hatred rises high - so high that it can offset the stigma and troubles that divorce entails – then the lovers would turn around from each other, bringing an end to the marriage.

Aforementioned were my ideas about love and breakup. As a person who is extremely skeptical about love, I must admit that my thinking could be offensive to someone but still I think my idea holds truth to some extent. A marriage is like a volcano which is about to erupt. The crust (love) may endure the pressure (personality difference, hatred) for some time, but eventually the pressure will take over and so the marriage will end.

 



[1] It is stated in <Symposion> written by Plato, but I don't want to go too deep inside to talk about the love in philosophical manners. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm Kim Taekmin
    I was surprised about your idea of love because didn't have any negative thoughts about love. However, I see your point about love and I think your reasons are great. If I have to suggest something on your writing I think it would be better if you add your thoughts about parental love.

    ReplyDelete