Thursday, June 29, 2017

Kim Chaeha/page 66/summer 56

D-2: Have you ever have been in a situation like the author's, where you really needed a friend?

After the graduation from high school, I had done a part-time job in a big buffet restaurant. There had a lot of part-timers who were in my ages. Some girls were nice to me at first; however, they started to ignore me without any reason. I felt lonely but it did not really matter so much because I was there to earn money, not to make friends. Fortunately, a girl who was one year younger than me came up to me and spoke to me first. We often talked while we worked and ate meals together. Thanks to her, I was not a lonely worker in the restaurant anymore.

E-3: English has two contradictory sayings that can apply to friendship: "Birds of a feather flock together," and "Opposites attract." What do they mean? Which saying describes friendship more accurately in your experience?

I think first saying means friends are people whose hobbies or interests are similar and second saying means people can be friends with those who have different personalities. For example, my friend and I have totally different personalities. She is like a fire; on the other hand, I am like water. What I mean is that she is very passionate but gets angry easier while I am relatively cold and silent. However, we share hobbies and interests together. We both like watching movies, listening to EDM, hanging out at nice restaurants, and so on. Also, we share our thoughts about our future paths or some social issues. Therefore, I think the two sayings about friendship can co-exist and be applied to any friends at the same time.

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your story as an answer to D-2 and found it very interesting. You have a good skill to deliver your story in narrative. There were some parts that can be fixed. These are suggestions you may find useful as references.
    1. “Some girls were nice to me at first; however, they started to ignore me without any reason.”
    - I think you can omit ‘; however, ~’ and put ‘, but’. It will make your sentence clearer.
    - I would rather use the term ‘look down on’ than ‘ignore’ in this case

    Also in E-3, it was an interesting question and so was the answer. However, I give you several suggestions as well.
    1. “She is like a fire; on the other hand, I am like water.”
    - Rather than ‘; on the other hand,’ I would suggest ‘;’. So, the sentence would be ‘She is like fire; I am like water.’ Or, you can say ‘She is like fire, on the other hand, I am like water.’
    2. In the following sentence you wrote “What I mean is that she is very passionate but gets angry easier while I am relatively cold and silent.”
    - I would rather say ‘in other words’ than ‘what I mean by that.’ So, the sentence would be ‘In other words, she is very passionate but gets angry easier while I am relatively cold and silent.’
    - Also, I would replace ‘but’ to an ‘and’. And ‘easier’ to ‘easily.’ To make the sentence like ‘In other words, she is very passionate and gets angry easily while I am relatively cold and silent.’

    These are my suggestions and comments. I hope you find it useful.

    Kim Jusung / PSD

    ReplyDelete