Tuesday, June 27, 2017

YiJing Mo/page 40 D E/summer

D) 3. Do you admire the young wife?

 

I admire the young wife since she is so brave a woman that could take the risk of herself to fight for her marriage. Actually , the judge's behavior is also testing the wife's feeling to her husband. it demonstrates that she screw up her bravery and determination to get the hair from lion's hair in order to save her marriage, which obviously indicates that she loves her husband deeply. I think such love is rare and commendable in our real life, so I do appreciate a lot towards the young wife's behavior.

 

E) 1. Which character, Esther or the Ethiopian ,loves more deeply? explain.

I think Ethiopian wife loves more deeply than Esther. Obviously we can see a distinct difference between Esther and the young wife. I totally don't think that Esther shows love towards Laurence. She just satisfy herself by finding something warm to substitute for homesickness. She ostensibly said she hurt her love because of deep love, however, in my opinion, true love will never turn into hatred just as Ethiopian wife's behavior. It because of true love that she would rather take the risk of her life to save marriage than doing something harmful towards husband.

3 comments:

  1. For excercise D,
    I agree and I can see where you are going. However, I had a different perspective which makes me want to ask you a question. Do you think the old judge's request was a reasonable one? and you said you admire the wife but in common sense and logic, is it right to take that request?

    For excercise E,
    I can clearly understand your thoughts and your reasonings are also acceptable which I guess most of others would have also thought the same way as you did.
    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Item E:
    I agree with you that Esther just wanted it anyone to make her forget about the homesickness and does not truly love Laurence. But I slightly have different opinion that love never turning to hatred. It would be very nice to forgive and wish happiness to your loved one, but when you love someone deeply and get betrayed, that sudden betrayal can turn into hatred. That is why numerous love stories have revenges. Nice ideas though!:)

    -Dong Heui Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. About your response on item D: Even if her patience and determination is strong, the way that she prove it might actually take her life, which can leave nothing but a grief to her husband. So what she did according to the old man seems a bit reckless. What do you think?
    About yours on Item E: I agree on the point that what Esther shows is a distorted love towards Laurence.
    -Hyunho Jung

    ReplyDelete