Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Park So Yeon/Page 24 Item B-2/Summer Session 2017

Main Idea: However, these theories don't apply in my family for several reasons.

          I believe that Forer's theory didn't apply to me and my brother because Forer did not take other factors, school and friends, into consideration.

Supporting examples:

1.      To begin with, our parents raised us to be independent so there was no reason for my brother to become parental.

2.      Rather than expecting the other to be constantly leading the way and hovering over the other, we were raised in a family where we trusted and supported each other's choices.

3.      In addition, my brother did not have to live under pressure thinking that he should be the responsible one taking care of me and meeting our parent's expectations.

4.      Moreover, I worked hard as my brother to meet my parent's expectations.

5.      The type of friends that a child has can also shape he or she's personality.

Points in the article that could support my reasons:

1.      "When a sibling arrives, he tries to suppress the view of himself as a child, and he struggles to be parental."

2.      "Consequently they do not have such intense feelings of loneliness when the attention of the parents is directed elsewhere, nor do they seem to feel so inadequate when they do not meet the standards of their parents."

 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your point of view. I think it's really hard to credit the author's idea which sounds really ridiculous to me. If it took many other variables (e.g. parent's discipline, peer relationship, etc) into consideration, it would have been more trustworthy. Also,I'm impressee with the way your parents educated you and your brother, because I am somewhat dependent on my parents. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw, I'm Keunho Kim from summer session class.

      Delete
  2. I can understand what you want to say easily and exactly, which is really great. It is really great i think you use that ideas from the articles for supporting your idea. Besides using actual and specific story about your family for supporting ideas helps me understand much better and agree with that. Thank you for good writing and good luck !

    ReplyDelete