Thursday, June 29, 2017

Seong Ji Lee/Pg 66/Summer Session

D-2 Have you ever have been in a situation like the author's, where you really needed a friend?

             Yes, there was a time when I was in a similar situation like the author's, while I was attending school abroad. At the time, I was the only non-native student in the school, whom didn't know how to speak English. Because I didn't know the food name in English, I couldn't even order meals at school cafeteria. Only thing I could do to was just pointing the food out and adding 'this and this please.' That was the best action I could do, but to the volunteer, who was mother of one of student, my action was somewhat felt rude to her. She thought I was being rebellious to the adult, though I had no such intention, I couldn't advocate myself and explain my situation to her. I was scolded and had to have menu I dlmdidn't like. I felt really ashamed for such an incident and didn't like lunch time. To me meeting the lady was horror. But, thankfully, my friends knew I was having trouble ordering food, so they had helped me by telling me all kinds of food names. Also, they've explained to the lady that I was unfamiliar with English, and had no bad intention to make her angry. After she knew I was just a kid from other country she understood all of my action and apologized for being too harsh on me. I really thank my friends for helping me tell the lady that she was misunderstanding my action.

 

E-1 Relatives can be friends, but friends cannot become relatives. Can they be as important as relatives?

             Yes, I think friends can be as important as relatives or even closer and more important, besides, there is saying in Korea "neighbor is relative." Especially in nowadays, we rarely see our relatives and even our family too, because, many people move to other places to find better jobs and to get better education. So we don't have relatives around us, making us to depend on our close neighbors and friend, when we are in trouble. Even for myself, I would call for my close friends' help rather than my relatives'. And I rarely see them too, maybe once or twice a year, while I see my friends every weekends.

To conclude, nowadays, we rarely see our relatives and moreover, we turn to friends when we are in need of close ones help. Friends are more intimate than relatives and may become more important person to some people. 

Seong ji Lee

2 comments:

  1. Your story is very interesting. I had a same experience when I was in U.S. in an elementary school. I remember having trouble ordering food just like you, and my teacher had to pay for me for the first day’s lunch time. Your story reminds me of one of my most embarrassing moments in my life. In your writing, I have some things to suggest for making it better.
    1. You wrote, “Only thing I could do to was just pointing the food out and adding 'this and this please.'”
    - If I were you, I would say, “The only thing I could do was to point at the food that I wanted, and adding “This and this please.”” The correction included these: ‘to was’ to ‘was to’, ‘pointing’ to ‘point at’, quotation usage, and some other things you will notice.
    2. In the following sentence you wrote, “That was the best action I could do, but to the volunteer, who was mother of one of student, my action was somewhat felt rude to her.”
    - If I were you, I would say, “That was the best action I could take. However, the volunteer, who was a mother of a student, took my action as a rude behavior.”
    - The correction included ‘do’ to ‘take’, separated one sentence into two, changed the transition word, ‘who was mother of one of student’ to ‘who was a mother of a student’, and some things you will notice
    I hope you find it useful! Thank you.
    Kim, Jusung / PSD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience as you when I was abroad in NZ.The story starts like this, twice a week, my homestay guardian gave me pocket money to buy lunch at the school. I hated the moment of ordering because my pronunciation was so bad that the lady in the canteen had a hard time listening my orders.I was so embarrassing. Later one of my classmate taught me how to say properly all of the menu in the canteen. And I no longer had a problem with ordering. It's funny that I am not the only one who felt this way before. Ah also I would like to comment that instead of "moreover" how about uisng in addition to, furthermore, also, additionally??

    ReplyDelete