Thursday, June 29, 2017

Tsay Miri/p.66-67/summer56

P.66, D

Friend in need is a friend indeed

I think every person needs a friend at some point of his/her life and I am not an exception. My situation is different from author's story but I still can understand feelings of the main heroine. I remember the time when I was at the 2nd year in university I was overwhelmed with problems. I couldn't catch up with my studies and voluntary activities. I broke up with my boyfriend. My parents had financial problems and it occurred that I couldn't go home for vacations. Adding to this, I was sick, had no time to sleep and barely had money to exist. It seemed that the whole world is against me. I was about to take an academic break and leave Korea. I couldn't think soberly and take any adequate actions. So, I meet my one of my closest friends in Korea and talked to her. I almost cried while talking to her. She listened to me and said: "Don't give up. If you need money I can borrow you. If you want to talk I will listen. But don't give up your studies because you experience some difficulties. It is all going to be OK." After discussing my situation with her, I felt relieved and problems suddenly became so small. I just needed to talk to her and realize that I am not alone. I think her behavior and my reaction demonstrated the true power of our friendship. I don't know what would I do without her but I believe that our friendship saved me from making mistakes.


P.66, E

                                 Friendship without borders

"Birds of a feather flock together" simply means that similar people tend to associate with each other. On the contrary, saying "opposites attracts" means that absolutely different people get on well with each other. In my opinion, both sayings are reasonable and truthful. However, they are right not for everyone. I think that my friendships are more coherent with the first saying. All of my closest friends speak Russian just like me and have the same cultural behaviors. Most of them are students and share my interests and preferences in leisure, food and lifestyle. Of course, I have some foreign friends but we are not that close. It might be easier to make friends among those with similar background because you don't have to teach them how to treat you. They already got to know it through similar experiences.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of people among my acquaintances, whose best friends are from different countries. They also have different professions, lifestyles and speak different languages. The most important thing is that despite difficulties they may face, their friendships are as strong as anyone else's. It proves that friendship depends on people and their character, not their nationality, interest or race. 


--
Best wishes, 
Tsay Miri

2 comments:

  1. Dooseok Lee / Summer writingJune 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM

    I liked that you've given enough details to support your main idea. I once studied abroad, and totally agree that friendship is very helpful when having a hard time. Studing in other country is too harsh on your own.
    In Question E, you've given examples of people that fits to 'opposites attract', though you are more of a person that goes with similarity more. I liked that this made the writing feel like you valued both viewpoints,rather than forcing a single viewpoint. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D: I can feel how hard you spent the time, but your friend became a big help to you. You wrote your situations in detail, so it was easy to understand.
    E: I agree with you that both sayings can be reasonable. Your reasons are interesting and more realistic because you stated your own examples. I

    ReplyDelete