Thursday, June 29, 2017

Park So Yeon/ page 66/ Summer Session 56

Page 66, Item D, Q.3

Recently, in a HUFS community website, an anonymous post asked whether two people with different backgrounds, hobbies, taste, and interest could be friends. I think this story answers the question. I believe that people with completely different personalities or backgrounds can become friends as long as they try.

Before coming to HUFS, I had heard a number of times that the friends you meet at university aren't true friends and it's not pure friendship because they all have something they want hidden behind their back. I was frustrated because I wasn't sure if it was right. Thus, I started to keep my distance with other people because it felt as if my classmates were double faced. It was foolish of me and my friend taught me that not all friendships made in universities are like that. She and I grew up in different regions we have different backgrounds and our personalities are poles apart. For instance, she is very straightforward and has a very distinct preference in everything. On the other hand, I tend to beat the bushes when I say something because I don't want to hurt people's feelings. Also, I tend to go with the flow, without having a big preference for things. Like this, we are two completely different people but we are very close and we became best friends.

People say love has no borders and I think the same thing applies in friendship as well. Culture, backgrounds, language, lifestyle, personality, and all the other differences cannot come in the way of two people being friends.

Item E, Q.2

             I have no problem becoming friends with people from another culture because I understand that everyone is different. In every relationship problems exist because we are all different. Among them, culture is just one thing so there is no reason for me to avoid another person just because he/she is different from me. Even if I avoid someone just because we don't share the same culture I will face other problems in other relationships. Of course, it is not easy to understand another person because culture influences us in many ways. It mainly influences our ideologies so finding a way to coexist with another person who has different thoughts with me is no doubt difficult. However, overcoming that adversary is part of becoming close to another person and I think that there is a bright side in becoming friends with a person from a different culture. A person from another culture can broaden my perspective because I can learn about a whole new world. I could also learn tolerance, and learn how to narrow the gap between myself and the person with different ideologies. To sum up, I think differences exist anywhere and culture is just one of them. 

2 comments:

  1. Item D:
    I agree with you that people with different background and personalities can be close friends too. I also heard that college friends are not real friends because they tend to seek benefits from each other. This is certainly not true since I have many great friends at HUFS and I can say theyt are closer than my high school friends. I like how you started with the survey results to make it plausible and pointed out love has no borders at the end. Well done:)

    -Dong Heui Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right and I hope what you're saying is right. I met a lot of good friends at universities, just like you. I want to believe that there are no barriers at becoming a friend, but unfortunately nowadays, i think people are becoming more exclusive. Even little children differentiate each other based on parents' economic status, and on the news I see many people beating or killing their friends or lovers because of personality differences... It's a sad story. I really hope that you're right.
    201200283 Kim Keunho/summer session

    ReplyDelete